ADD occurs when there is a deficiency of dopamine in the brain which leads to erratic and disruptive behavior patterns. This occurs in only 10% of children diagnosed with ADD. What about the other 90% of children diagnosed with ADD? In the vast majority of cases, something else is causing ADD-like symptoms. It is well worth the effort to find out what is causing these symptoms and treat them at the source. What can you, the parent, do to help your child? Here are five changes that parents can make to support their children and treat ADD-like symptoms.
Five Changes That Will Improve Your Child’s Health and Reduce ADD Symptoms
Make sure your child’s structure (body) is balanced with OMT – Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment.
Just like wearing a tight pair of shoes or a tight hat would make anyone “nudgey” after a while, many children feel uncomfortable inside their bodies. Whether due to the normal falls and bumps of childhood or more severe trauma, a child’s body can get “locked up,” making a child uncomfortable and nudgey with great difficulty sitting still and staying focused.
For example, the skull is made up of 22 bones that are designed to move ever so slightly to accommodate the pulse of the brain. Whenever there is trauma to the head – even from a seemingly innocuous fall, the bones can jam and inhibit the natural pulse of the brain. The child may not even realize that he or she is uncomfortable, but still may be unable to sit still without a large distracion. Have your child seen by a competent Osteopath who will be able to treat the source of the pain and dysfunction so a child’s (or adult’s) condition can be healed and not just masked with medications.
Make sure your child is getting “brain healthy” food.
Artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners are brain toxins. Sugar and high fructose corn syrup can act like cocaine on the brain and increase cravings for more. Protein in meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and nuts boost dopamine levels and help us be more focused. Simple carbs – white bread, sugar cereals, fruit juices, soda, cookies and candy, decrease children’s ability to focus and learn in school! Try to introduce more protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Also, make sure your child is getting a good multivitamin daily to make up for any deficiencies. Remember – good food makes you smarter!
Make sure your child is getting enough sleep.
Being tired looks a lot like ADD. We all need sleep, and children need more than adults. Children under the age of 12 need about 12 hours of sleep. Teenagers’ sleep patterns are more erratic, but as a rule, 8 hours will be fine with the occasional 12 hour nights.
Sometimes a child misbehaves as a result of poor discipline.
Discipline means setting limits, rewarding good behavior, and being clear about expectations. Remember that by nature, a child wants to please his parents and teachers. Is there something you can do to make your child feel more loved and secure?
Is your child being bullied?
Being bullied can make a child dysfunctional, especially in school. After asking your child about his day in school ask if they have any secrets they were told not to tell to their parents.
Get Help For ADD
No one has the right to pressure you to do something that is harmful to your child, and giving drugs when unnecessary is harmful. Fill out the form and click Send to get help.